Ravenstein was founded in 1360 by Walraven van Valkenburg who had a castle built on the banks of the Meuse.
The town of Ravenstein was created near the castle, which already received city rights in 1380 from Reinout van Valkenburg, a half-brother of Walraven. In 1397, Lord van Ravenstein was defeated and captured at the battle of Kleverhamm (Kreis Kleve). The city subsequently became Kleve’s property. In 1399 the Treaty of Ravenstein was concluded between Brabant and Gelre.
It has a long history, browse the web to find more info.
It is a lovely small town to wander, many old buildings, lots of details to view.